[gmx-users] Restart simulation from checkpoint file with fewer nodes

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sat May 14 17:14:24 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 1:09 PM <jkrieger at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> In case it's relevant/interesting to anyone, here are the details on our
> cluster nodes:
>
> nodes                   #       model           # cores         cpu model
>   RAM   node_type
> fmb01 - fmb33           33      IBM HS21XM      8               3 GHz Xeon
> E5450
>  16GB   hs21
> fmb34 - fmb42           9       IBM HS22        8               2.4 GHz
> Xeon E5530
> 16GB    hs22
> fmb43 - fmb88           45      Dell PE M610    8               2.4 GHz
> Xeon E5530
>      16GB       m610
> fmb88 - fmb90           3       Dell PE M610+   12              3.4 GHz
> Xeon X5690
>       48GB      m610+
> fmb91 - fmb202          112     Dell PE M620    24 (HT)         2.9 GHz
> Xeon E5-2667
>        64GB     m620
> fmb203 - fmb279         77      Dell PE M620    24 (HT)         3.5 GHz
> Xeon E5-2643 v2         64GB
>         m620+
> fmb280 - fmb359         80      Dell PE M630    24 (HT)         3.4 GHz
> Xeon E5-2643 v3         64GB
>         m630
>
> I could only run GROMACS 4.6.2 on the last three node types and I believe
> the same is true for 5.0.4

Sure. GROMACS is designed to target whichever hardware was selected at
configure time, which your sysadmins for such a heterogeneous cluster
should have documented somewhere. They should also be making available to
you a mechanism to target your jobs to nodes where they can run programs
that use the hardware efficiently, or providing GROMACS installations that
work regardless of which node you are actually on. You might like to
respectfully remind them of the things we say at
http://manual.gromacs.org/documentation/5.1.2/install-guide/index.html#portability-aspects
(These thoughts are common to earlier versions also.)

Mark

Best wishes