[gmx-users] angle_restraint_z

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 24 16:42:57 CEST 2016

On 5/24/16 10:36 AM, Karina wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to restrain the angle between two atoms (type a5) in a half
> spherical body with respect to the z axis. I am trying to use
> angle_restraint_z, but not sure how to do it correctly due to lack of
> information in the manual or in forums.
>
> I have created a .itp file with  angle_restraint_z and included it in the
> topology file as follows:
>
> #include "a5.itp"
> #ifdef ANGRESZ
> #include "angrez-a5.itp"
> #endif
>
> and in the .mdp file as follows:
> define       =-DANGRESZ
>
> The problem is I get the following error
>
> Fatal error:
> [ file angrez-a5.itp, line 5 ]:
> Atom index (3384) in angle_restraints_z out of bounds (1-1).
> This probably means that you have inserted topology section "angle_restraints_z"
> in a part belonging to a different molecule than you intended to.
> In that case move the "angle_restraints_z" section to the right molecule.
>
> The only way I can run it is if my indexes are 1 in my .itp file:
>
> [ angle_restraints_z ]
> ;i j   funct   theta0   fc   mult
>  1 1    1    90    100000  1
>
> which is incorrect.
>
> Can you please help me understand how to do it correctly?

Angle restraints are like any other restraints and are numbered based on
[moleculetype] number, not global atom number:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Atom_index_n_in_position_restraints_out_of_bounds

Likely you've inserted your #include statement after your #include
(whatever).ff/ions.itp" or something similar that has only 1-atom [moleculetypes].

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore