[gmx-users] Combining various Flat-bottomed Potentials

jagannath mondal jm3745 at columbia.edu
Wed May 25 07:44:45 CEST 2016

Hi
  I am also interested in the issue of using a  flat-bottomed restraint,
for a spherocylinder.
 However, I am not sure whether the current gromacs settings of even a
linear combination of a sphere and cylinder can help here to generate a
spherocylinder.

If we put the spherical and cylindrical restraint on the same particle
(under the [position restraints] flag as Justin and Chris has suggested ),
the particle will be either be in a spherical confinement or in a
cylindrical confinement .  But for a spherocylinder, we need two
hemispheres which are capped on the two ends of a cylinder.
Hence, for a spherocylindrical restraint, what is needed here is a
restraint which will restrain the particle on going out when the z
coordinate of the particle exceeds the diameter of the cylinder AND the
sqrt(x**2+y**2) of the particle exceeds the length of the cylinder.
I am wondering whether this is possible within the current gromacs
implentation.
If it is not, I was interested in editing the source code relevant for flat
bottomed potential, to implement it for a spherocylinder. Is the following
path within gromacs directory right place to make the changes ?
  gromacs-5.0.6/src/gromacs/gmxlib/bondfree.c

Any suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks
Jagannath