[gmx-users] free energy calculation on amino acid mutation

hannes.loeffler at stfc.ac.uk hannes.loeffler at stfc.ac.uk
Thu May 26 19:35:23 CEST 2016

That really depends on how you approach the problem.

When you choose a dual topology approach you would need to decide where to branch off but basically end up with duplicating parts of the residue.  Sounds like that's what you were trying to do.

In the single topology approach you would match as many atoms as possible and balance just the missing atoms with dummies (as opposed to the dual approach where you may have lots of them).  As the bonded network stays the same you would not need to make any modifications to those.  I do not see any reason why you would not want to use this approach in your specific case (LEU->GLY).

There is a tool out there that you should probably give a try: pmx.  I believe it uses the single topology approach.