[gmx-users] Force Field for amino acid and peptide

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri May 27 13:45:26 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 12:55 PM Alexander Alexander <
alexanderwien2k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> What does "being compatible" mean here, please?

That someone has done a bunch of work and presented results that show that
sets of parameters reproduce physically meaningful things. Then others read
it, argue about it, fix it, or cite it. :-) #science

> Actually, the FF of the surface (meanly \sigma and \epsilon in L-J) was
> harvested via a series of parametrization of some parameters with the
> quantum calculation of the same parameters. So, how can I find the most
> compatible FF of the peptide with this surface then?

Either someone has done some similar work that you can read and learn from,
or they haven't. In the latter case, you can make some stuff up and likely
not publish, or be prepared to find some data you can hope to reproduce,
and then work out a protocol to reproduce it.

I just chose "OPLS-AA" force field for peptides because the [ defaults ]
> sections (in topol.top) for "OPLS-AA" FF (among the FF provided in Gromacs)
> was quite close to the [ defaults ] section of my simulations for the
> surface. But, I really do not know how reliable this is!?

It isn't reliable until you can say why it is :-)

> I could not see the CVFF force field in the suggested list of FF in "gmx
> pdb2gro peptide.pdb ...", so, I was wondering how can use CVFF force field
> for peptides in this simulation?

If GROMACS already implements the necessary functional forms, then it's a
matter of someone who wants it to work converting the input files for the
force field.

Mark

Thanks.