[gmx-users] Error while re-compiling Gromacs 5.1.2 with GPU and gcc 5.3.1

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue May 31 22:25:22 CEST 2016

 Hi,

Just because gcc 5.3 and CUDA/nvcc 7.5 are in some Ubuntu repos (partner
AFAIR), it does not mean they're automatically compatible. The NVIDIA
documentation clearly indicates they're not.

However, this typically means that minor issue can prevent building. In
this case, it looks like a glibc/string.h issue (bug?) that was introduced
recently [1]. The solution seems to be as simple as adding -D-D*FORCE*INLINES
to the CUDA*NVCC*FLAGS flags (credit [2]).

[1] https://fossies.org/diffs/glibc/2.22*vs*2.23/string/string.h-diff.html
[2] https://github.com/BVLC/caffe/issues/4046

--
Szilárd