[gmx-users] Questions about free energy calculation tutorial

gozde ergin gozdeeergin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 12:31:32 CET 2016

Hi Justin,

I would like to ask one question related to this tutorial. I do the same thing with using SDS (Sodium dodecyl sulfate) molecule.
As you know there is NA (Sodium) atom that not bonded to dodecyl sulphate part. However in order to estimate the free energy of SDS salvation in water I need to decouple the all SDS molecule. Since couple-moltype accept only one types of molecule, I hacked the topology and put all atoms I want to decouple in the same [moleculetype] :

[ moleculetype ]
; name	nrexcl
SDS	     3

[ atoms ]
; nr	type	resnr	residu	atom	cgnr	charge	mass
     1         SL      1      SDS      S      1      0.000    32.0600   ; qtot  1.330
     2        OSL      1      SDS    OS1      2      0.000    15.9994   ; qtot  1.050
     3        O2L      1      SDS    OS2      3      0.000    15.9994   ; qtot  0.400
     4        O2L      1      SDS    OS3      4      0.000    15.9994   ; qtot -0.250
     5        O2L      1      SDS    OS4      5      0.000    15.9994   ; qtot -0.900
      .
      .
    25       HAL2      1      SDS    H71     25      0.000     1.0080   ; qtot -1.090
    26       HAL2      1      SDS    H72     26      0.000     1.0080   ; qtot -1.000
    27       CTL2      1      SDS     C8     27      0.000    12.0110   ; qtot -1.180
     .
     .
    42       HAL3      1      SDS   H123     42      0.000     1.0080   ; qtot -1.000
    43        SOD      2      SDS    SOD     43      0.000    22.9898   ; qtot  1.000
.

However I get this warning during the simulation :

WARNING: Listed nonbonded interaction between particles 25 and 43
at distance 2.303 which is larger than the table limit 2.200 nm.

Do you have any idea how could I get rid off this warning?

Also does the hacked .top file seem correct?

Thanks a lot!