[gmx-users] change atom type in ffbonded.itp

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Nov 1 13:18:40 CET 2016

On 11/1/16 8:10 AM, Mostafa Khedrinia wrote:
> hello
>
> I'm using Gromacs with
> charm27.ff force-field.I adding a new residue (NAG) in force field
>
> I have a problem with water molecules in my system: During
> minimization, I have this message:
>

> step X: Water molecule starting at atom XXX can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep if appropriate.
> Wrote pdb files with previous and current coordinates
>

> My problem is related to protein structure.I changed angletypes part in
>  ffbonded.itp .  so not errors.
> my question:
> This change how much is true?

I don't know whether three different people are actually sending identical
questions or if you're just posting repeatedly with different emails to try to
get attention, but in any case I will reply here and hope all relevant parties
see it.

There are a couple things that could be going wrong.  The first is that you are
mixing protein and CGenFF atom types to try to hack together a topology.  Don't.
  Build a suitable residue topology using available atom types from the protein
and carbohydrate force fields.  You can use charges from CGenFF as initial
guesses, but these should be cross-checked against existing chemical moieties.

Then you need to prove that this topology is reasonable.  If your whole protein
system is crashing, de-complicate matters by simulating only the custom residue
in vacuo, then in a box of water.  Then, if that works, verify that your protein
minimization actually converged adequately.  There's no sense running dynamics
if your system still has bad clashes/high forces.  If that's still crashing,
read
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up#Diagnosing_an_Unstable_System

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy