[gmx-users] Orienting molecule in a correct direction

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 2 12:45:35 CET 2016

On 11/1/16 11:22 AM, faride badalkhani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You're right. I am sorry for the unclear explanation. I used the editconf
> -princ command and chose ligand as the group for aligning in x direction.
> then I used the editconf -rotate 0 90 0 to align along z. Then I executed
> pdb2gmx command. Then
> editconf -f complex.gro -o complex-box.gro -center 4 4 4 -box 8 8 24
> I want to pull a total distance of 16 nm.

That's not possible with a box that size, unless you use geometry =
direction_periodic, disable pressure coupling along z, and adjust other pull
settings accordingly.  The maximum that you can pull in the z-dimension is 12 nm
with these settings.

> I continued the procedure till generating configurations and this is the
> mdp file for pulling:
>
> title       = Umbrella pulling simulation
> define      = -DPOSRES_A

One thing I will advise (as I keep having to do this privately as people ask
about my tutorial): do not follow the tutorial too literally.  For general
protein-ligand complexes, it is *NOT* appropriate to assume one-dimensional
pulling or applying position restraints to the protein.  Our paper (from which
the tutorial was derived) describes the somewhat unique case we were dealing
with.  For a protein-ligand complex, which is spherically symmetrical, treating
it the same way is inappropriate.

-Justin

> [...]
> fourier_ny      = 0
> fourier_nz      = 0
> pme_order       = 4
> ewald_rtol      = 1e-5
> optimize_fft    = yes
> ; Berendsen temperature coupling is on in two groups
> Tcoupl      = Nose-Hoover
> tc_grps     = Protein_CHL  Water_and_ions
> tau_t       = 0.5       0.5
> ref_t       = 310       310
> ; Pressure coupling is on
> Pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman
> pcoupltype      = isotropic
> tau_p           = 1.0
> compressibility = 4.5e-5
> ref_p           = 1.0
> refcoord_scaling = com
> ; Generate velocities is off
> gen_vel     = no
> ; Periodic boundary conditions are on in all directions
> pbc     = xyz
> ; Long-range dispersion correction
> DispCorr    = EnerPres
> ; Pull code
> pull                    = umbrella
> pull_geometry           = distance      ; simple distance increase
> pull_dim                = N N Y
> pull_start              = yes           ; define initial COM distance > 0
> pull_ngroups            = 1
> pull_group0             = Chain_A
> pull_group1             = Chain_B
> pull_rate1              = 0.1           ; 0.1 nm per ps
> pull_k1                 = 836.8         ; kJ mol^-1 nm^-2
>
> but ater 60000 steps I got the following error:
>
> Distance of pull group 1 (11.850665 nm) is larger than 0.49 times the box
> size 12.092276)
>
> Should I increase all the box dimensions or just z dimension?
>

> Regards,
> Farideh
>

> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 10/30/16 12:03 AM, faride badalkhani wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I want to define z axis as the reaction coordinate in a series of umbrella
>>> sampling simulations. As a first step, I use the editconf -prince to
>>> orient
>>> the ligand along the x axis and then I change the x and z columns in an
>>>

>> x and z columns of what?  If you have an orientation aligned along x, and
>> you want it aligned along z, it's a simple use of editconf -rotate 0 90 0
>>
>> editor. But, every time I get error at pulling step. Could you tell me what
>>> is wrong?
>>>

>> No, because you haven't told us what the exact error is and all the steps
>> you took in between.  There's a lot of work that goes on between setting up
>> an orientation and actually running a simulation.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support
>> /Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences