[gmx-users] Protein simulation, improve GPU/CPU ratio

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Nov 4 12:52:27 CET 2016

On 11/3/16 1:48 PM, Matilde Viegas wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a few questions regarding a simulation system containing a protein
> in a box of water, with ions. Just like the lysozyme tutorial:
>
> my system is a 5000 residue enzyme (75600 atoms), in a triclinic TIP3P
> water box of a total 1567103 atoms (around 500000 water molecules). My
> input is:
>
> ; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr
> integrator      = steep         ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent
> minimization)
> emtol           = 1000.0        ; Stop minimization when the maximum force
> < 1000.0 kJ/mol/nm
> emstep      = 0.01      ; Energy step size
> nsteps          = 50000         ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to
> perform
> define = -DFLEXIBLE
>
> ; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
> calculate the interactions
> nstlist             = 40            ; Frequency to update the neighbor list
> and long range forces
> cutoff-scheme   = Verlet
> ns_type             = grid              ; Method to determine neighbor list
> (simple, grid)
> coulombtype         = Reaction-Field    ; Treatment of long range
> electrostatic interactions
> rcoulomb            = 1.0               ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw                = 1.0               ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
> pbc                     = xyz           ; Periodic Boundary Conditions
> (yes/no)
>
> Unfortunately, my GPU/CPU ratio is 16= Force evaluation time GPU/CPU:
> 345.675 ms/20.818 ms = 16.605
>
> Any ideia on how I can improve the ratio?

Energy minimization is a poor way to evaluate performance of your hardware.  Do
a real MD run and inspect the .log file.  The end has a detailed performance
breakdown of exactly how mdrun spent all its time.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore