[gmx-users] Counter-ion in a initially neutral system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Nov 5 15:45:32 CET 2016

On 11/4/16 6:09 PM, Alex wrote:
> Dear gromacs user,
>
> In my simulation (solid surface + peptide in aqueous solution) I have a
> heptpeptide in which contains 2 times Glutamic acid (negatively charged)
> and one Arginine(positively charge) and one Lysine(positively charge), so,
> as you see the heptpeptide is charge neutral in general(the whole system is
> also neutral) despite having charged amino acid.
> However, In such situation I see sometimes people add also "Na + Cl" as
> counter-ion in the system, I do not know why!, I was wondering if it is
> really necessary to do that or make sense, as It is neutral initially?
> What if I do not add them?
> How can I see their effects quantitatively?
> How can I find out if I need the Counter-ions or not?

Counterions and bulk salt are different.  A counterion is specifically added to
balance the net charge on the solute.  If the solute is neutral, no ions that
are added into the bulk are counterions.  They are all bulk ions that are part
of the ionic environment in the system.  People do this to mimic experimental or
physiological conditions, because ions increase the dielectric of the solution
and screen charges.

-Justin

> By, the way, the goal of simulation is to calculate the PMF of
> heptapeptide-surface interaction* in *physiological condition by US.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Alex

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences