[gmx-users] Can't locate AMD SDK opencl, among else, during compile

Jacob Nowatzke jn681 at humboldt.edu
Mon Nov 7 09:50:01 CET 2016

Earlier today, I had an issue with compiling concerning fftw and gcc. I
upgraded gcc, but to no avail. I ended up upgrading from Ubuntu 14.04 to
16.04, and found that installing OpenCL for the R9 Nano GPU to be different
than for 14.04. I installed AMD drivers and the SDK.

$ clinfo returns good results, from what I can tell, but when nearly done
compiling GROMACS 2016.1, I get the following:

[ 98%] Building CXX object
src/gromacs/CMakeFiles/libgromacs.dir/__/external/lmfit/lmmin.cpp.o
make[2]: *** No rule to make target
'/opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so', needed by
'lib/libgromacs.so.2.1.0'.  Stop.
[ 98%] Building C object
src/gromacs/CMakeFiles/libgromacs.dir/utility/baseversion-gen.c.o
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2186: recipe for target
'src/gromacs/CMakeFiles/libgromacs.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [src/gromacs/CMakeFiles/libgromacs.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

The '/opt/AMDAPPSDK-3.0/lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so' does indeed exist, so I'm
well lost on what the new issue is.

I'm hoping to find a solution to this problem, else I would assume I won't
be using GROMACS. I'm supposing it is an issue I may be able to fix on my
end, naturally with limited knowledge of programming.

Best,

Jacob