[gmx-users] Adding hydrogen atom to specific Glu/Asp carboxyl oxygen atom

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 9 13:49:35 CET 2016

On 11/9/16 7:07 AM, Dawid das wrote:
> Yes, I have already figure that out, thanks ;). I have simply exchanged OE1
> and OE2 atoms names and translated HE2 atom by vector between OE1 and OE2
> in *gro file. Also I exchanged OE1 and OE2 atom names in *top file.

For future reference, simply switching the atom names and re-running pdb2gmx
will save you all the manual work.

Note, too, that this is a rotatable bond so if, e.g. a hydrogen bond would be
favorable, the carboxylic acid group will rotate to form that interaction,
likely during a simple energy minimization.

-Justin

> Best regards,
> Dawid Grabarek

>> Exchange their atom names?
>>
>> Dading Huang
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Dawid das <addiw7 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Gromacs Experts,
>>>
>>> I know how to specify which Glu/Asp residues are to be
>>> protonated/deprotonated with
>>> pdb2gmx tool. However, I do not like that the hydrogen is added to one of
>>> the oxygen atoms
>>> of carboxyl moiety. I would like it to be found on the other oxygen. Is
>>> there any other way
>>> except modifying the *top file by hand?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Dawid
>>> --
>>>
>>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit
>>>
>> --
>>
>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/
>> Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629