[gmx-users] Fwd: self-assembly and box size

Mohsen Ramezanpour ramezanpour.mohsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 03:43:03 CET 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 11/14/16 9:04 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
>
>> Thanks Justin for your comments.
>>
>> Comments interspersed.
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On 11/14/16 5:11 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Gromacs users,

>> Do you mean deviding it to Molecules and WI? If yes, could you please let
>> me know why it is not approperiate?
>> How if I use "system" instead?
>>

> Use System.  Only layered systems should be considered for separate
> comm_grps. Your approach risks the different groups having spurious
> contributions from COM motion removal causing them collide.  I've seen
> crashes from it before.

Sure. I will. I used this because I expected these lipids to eventually
form a bilayer or HII phase.

>>> refcoord_scaling        = com

>> Even if the box is not full with waters and there are a lot of empty
>> spaces
>> between molecules?
>>

> "A lot" is subjective, but in general, I stand by the statement that 100
> ps is nothing in this context.

Agreed. Sorry for that. I think the example of 10*10*10 nm makes it clear
now. The system had about 200 lipids and 50 waters/lipids.

>>> If you have a box full of water, as your settings above imply,
>>>

>> That is not the case, I have molecules and water, but there are plenty of
>> empty spaces.
>>

> What is the purpose of void space?  You're potentially introducing a lot
> of artificiality.  Perhaps you need to better explain your goals.  Using
> such a huge box is computationally very expensive, for potentially little
> or no gain, plus the headaches associated with bizarre behavior due to
> voids (which can also cause crashes).

Your right. Based on the number of lipids (200 is reasonable) an water
molecules I did not expect it to take too much time to fill these voids. I
will make it smaller.

>> you can't expect much of a change.  Why do you need the box to shrink, or
>>> why do you expect it to?
>>>

>> Based on the number of lipid molecules and waters I added to the box, and
>> since the same system (with the same number of molecules and waters) will
>> be in lamellat  or other phases (in equilibrium) of smaller sizes (e.g. 10
>>  10  10 nm). i.e. if I make a bilayer out of these, it will be ca.
>> 10*10*10
>> nm^3 in size
>>

>> A box will only shrink a lot if there is substantial void space, e.g.
>>> intentional or due to a poor initial approximation of the system that
>>> requires equilibration.
>>>
>>> Agreed. Regarding what I described about the system, do you think this is
>> because 100 ps is not enough? Even for a small shrink of ~ 2 nm?
>>

> Impossible to predict.  But again, 100 ps is not nearly enough time to
> assess anything like what you're after.

Sure, I will run longer But for smaller box as you suggested.

Thanks for your comments Justin.

> -Justin

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>
> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
> School of Pharmacy
> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
> University of Maryland, Baltimore
> 20 Penn St.
> Baltimore, MD 21201

> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

*Rewards work better than punishment ...*