[gmx-users] Melting temperature for the lipid bilayer

Mohsen Ramezanpour ramezanpour.mohsen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 22:37:25 CET 2016

Hi Justin,

Comments interspersed.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> On 11/21/16 3:28 PM, Mohsen Ramezanpour wrote:
>
>> Dear gromacs users,
>>
>> Running simulation on a lipid bilayer made by Charmm-GUI, there is about
>> 24
>> degrees difference between the reported temperature in Avanti and what I
>> see in my simulations for getting a liquid disordered (L_disorder)
>> bilayer.
>>

> How are you quantifying the transition in the simulation?

Mainly by diffusion constant and diffusion graph. However, diffusion
constant, bilayer thickness and area per lipid all have a shift.
Order parameters are also higher for lower temperatures.

> I am using all-atom Charmm36 FF for simulations.
>>

> What is the lipid?

DSPS

> I know that it is not possible to get an exact match between experimental
>> and simulation T values for L_alpha phase of bilayers, but I am not sure
>> if
>> these gap seems reasonable or there is something wrong in my simulations.
>> have checked the bonds in tails and apparently, everything looks fine with
>> topology.
>>

> A gap of 24 degrees is quite substantial.  I would not consider that
> outcome to be sufficiently accurate.

The melting temperature for DSPS is 68 centigrade (341 K). The
liquid_disordered one is about 365 K (at least one with reasonable
characteristics of liquid_disorder phase).

> However, based on this, doing simulation in L_alpha phase requires hight T
>> values (close to 85 or 90 degrees of centigrade) which makes me worry
>> about
>> the water molecules in the system. It is a high temperature for water
>> molecules.
>>

> Agreed, but TIP3P has a ton of other problems, so this is probably the
> least of our concerns at the moment.
>

> -Justin
>
> Its worth mentioning that bilayer structural properties like lipid order
>> parameters match available experimental data for these high T values.
>>
>> Please let me know your opinion.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mohsen

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>
> Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
> School of Pharmacy
> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
> University of Maryland, Baltimore
> 20 Penn St.
> Baltimore, MD 21201

> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

*Rewards work better than punishment ...*