[gmx-users] Melting temperature for the lipid bilayer

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 23 20:28:50 CET 2016

I presume you're heating your bilayer up slowly to assess the melting temperature? This method will give you an estimated melting temperature that is equal to the true melting temperature of that Hamiltonian in simulation only if you go infinitely slowly. At finite heating speeds, your observed melting temperature will be greater than or equal to the true simulation melting temperature.

You have to go slower than you might expect. For instance, even 0.15 K/ns overestimates the melting temperature (on average, of course).

On the other hand, if you're evaluating the Tm by running simulations at various constant temperatures and you call the Tm the temperature at which you see 50% gel and 50% liquid dynamically interconverting many times then your estimate should be correct for the Hamiltonian you selected (though I expect this approach to be way beyond current computational abilities).