[gmx-users] The Berendsen thermostat does not generate the correct kinetic energy distribution.

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:20:26 CET 2016

Hi,

Almost right. The behaviour of the Bussi v-rescale thermostat is equivalent
to Berendsen when the system is far from equilibrium, but has the right
distribution when it is in equilibrium (see discussion in Bussi's paper in
Diogo's first link). I know of no case where Berendsen works better than
v-rescale, so you may as well use it for both equilibration and production.
(Note that old literature referring to velocity-rescaling thermostats is
talking about something totally different.)

Mark