[gmx-users] Are the v-rescale thermostat and ld-seed suitable with md integrator?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Nov 28 14:37:17 CET 2016

On 11/28/16 3:44 AM, Mijiddorj Batsaikhan wrote:
> Dear gmx_users,
>
> Hello, my simulation system consists of a protein and membranes using
> GROMACS. Initial structure was generated by Charmm-gui that gave the
> appropriate mdp files for the simulation. During the equilibration stage,
> Berendsen thermostat does not generate the correct kinetic energy
> distribution, and V-rescale thermostat is recommended by grompp.
>
> From the manual, v-rescale needs to set the random seed with *ld-seed*.
> This thermostat works correctly even for *tau-t = 0*.
>
> I have two questions.
>
> (1)
>
> I want to use md integrator, Is *ld-seed* agreeable with md integrator?

Why wouldn't it be?  It's only used for the random seed for the v-rescale
thermostat in this context.

> (2)
>
> I used following options for NVT and NPT equilibration.
>
> Are the options correct?
>
> *For NVT:*
> tcoupl = v-rescale
> tc_grps = PROT MEMB SOL_ION
> tau_t = 0 0 0
> ref_t = 298 298 298
> ld-seed = -1
>

> *For NPT:*
>
> tcoupl = v-rescale
> tc_grps = PROT MEMB SOL_ION
> tau_t = 1.0 1.0 1.0
> ref_t = 298 298 298
> ld-seed = -1

Both are just thermostat options, they don't distinguish between NVT and NPT.
For NPT, you need a barostat as well.  I have never run with tau-t = 0 even
though the manual says it works.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629