[gmx-users] problem encountered during installation, the AVX2_256support

张敏华 mhzhang01 at sibs.ac.cn
Mon Oct 10 04:25:23 CEST 2016

Dear gmx users:
       I encountered a problem when I was installing the gromacs. I used "cmake  .. -DGMX_SMID=AVX2_256" command try to support my new intel CPU,but the system reports the following things:

 -- Compiler flag was valid, but executable did not build - perhaps update the binutils package
    CMake Error at cmake/gmxManageSimd.cmake:67 (message):
    Found a compiler flag for AVX2 support, but some other problem exists.
    Update your assembler and/or linker, e.g.  in the binutils package of yourdistribution.
    Call Stack (most recent call first):
   cmake/gmxManageSimd.cmake:285 (gmx_give_fatal_error_when_simd_support_not_found)
   CMakeLists.txt:648 (gmx_manage_simd)

I have installed the binutils but the problem still exists
So what shall I do? or SMID support is not an important thing at all?