[gmx-users] How to remove ions from, and from which file in the finished simulation?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 19 14:08:35 CEST 2016

On 10/19/16 8:05 AM, Marko Sever wrote:
> Hello,
>
> got another question, while I'm finding my way around Gromacs :). I have a
> simulation which I have to continue but I need to remove the ions out of it
> and add just so much ions back that the system will be neutral, because now
> there are too much of them. So I should be working on the .gro file that was
> used for the MD simulation right or maybe also the latest topology file?

You need to modify both.  But at this point, you're not "continuing" a
simulation; you're changing the system and doing a whole new one.

> Can you help me with the commands please?

Ions are added with genion.  Manual deletion is done in a text editor.  Refer to
any basic tutorial for common GROMACS operations, e.g.
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme/index.html

> Also a bit off topic but where should i look for info regarding steering MD,
> for steering some molecule through a channel?

The manual has an extensive section on pulling options.  Also covered in
tutorials, e.g.
http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/umbrella/index.html

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy