[gmx-users] TIP4P/2005f parameter modification in Gromacs 5.1.2

Chapman, Christopher W. chapmancw at ornl.gov
Thu Oct 20 15:40:19 CEST 2016

Hi,

Thank you for your helpful comments and suggestions. Per your recommendations, I tried running my simulation with the original parameter set and configuration file, and the forces behave as one would expect. I tried re-generating the configuration file, however, and the simulation breaks down. I apparently created a correct configuration file once, and cannot recreate it.

>From what I can tell, since I'm using the TIP4P/2005f model, I cannot use Gromacs' built in solvate command because the .gro file it calls is based on the TIP4P model, which has slightly different values for the bond lengths and angles (though I may be wrong about not being able to use solvate). Because of this, I used my aforementioned script and just set the parameter values to their defaults given by the TIP4P/2005f model. The script generates the configuration file by creating an individual water molecule, randomly rotating it, and placing it in the box. This process is repeated until the box is full. Each molecule is offset from each other molecule by a set amount so that there is no overlap between any two water molecules. Each molecule is also checked to confirm that the rotations didn't alter the bond lengths, bond angles, and to ensure that all of the atoms lie in the same plane (there's no reason why the rotation should change these, but I figured I'd check just to be safe). Is this an appropriate way to create the configuration file 'by hand'?

Thanks,

Chris