[gmx-users] Fwd: Change in dihedral angle

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 31 13:34:55 CET 2016

On 10/31/16 8:31 AM, Sudip Das wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am performing simulation of a protein containing cyclic peptide ring (not
> an regular amino acid) using GROMOS54a7 force field with GROMACS 5.0.5
> package. After equilibration and NVT production run, the final structure
> having a C-CHn-CHn-C dihedral angle has a value of -18.5 degree, whereas
> after optimizing the final structure quantum chemically in Gaussian09
> software, the same dihedral angle gives the value equal to +18.1 degree.
>
> Can anyone please suggest any solution? Should I need to change the
> dihedral angle parameter in the force field? Or this is just a problem of
> sign convention between the above to computing softwares?

That can easily be checked.  If the order of the atoms is the same, then the
dihedral should be the same.

Note that the final structure of any run may not be representative of the entire
run.  You should compute a distribution of the dihedrals and obtain an ensemble
average.  Note, too, that sampling in solution may be different from anything
that happens in vacuo.  The connection to QM with GROMOS is a bit tenuous.  A
1-D potential energy surface of the dihedral in question may be useful to see if
perhaps there are multiple minima with small barriers between them, for instance.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore