[gmx-users] changing the location of a molecule in a box

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 9 14:01:34 CEST 2016

On 9/9/16 7:59 AM, Smith, Micholas D. wrote:
> HI Anurag Dobhal,
>
> If it is already split into two regions when you simulate without the protein, load the system in something like VMD, define a sphere between the two solvents that can hold your protein, record the residue ids for the water/chloroform in that sphere region, delete these from your .gro file, and place your protein in that position using a text editor. Then use editconf to make sure all of the atom numberings are resolved. Then run a short NPT simulation with the protein fixed in place to let the solvent molecules relax around it (since you may have created voids during the placement/removal of solvent molecules).
>
> There may be more direct ways, but that's how others I've worked with have made void regions to place proteins in specific locations for initial simulation starting configurations.

If the pre-equilibrated biphasic system is of correct size to accommodate the
protein, it's trivial in GROMACS.  Center the protein in a box of that size with
editconf, and use solvate with the two-solvent system to fill the box.

-Justin

> ===================
> Micholas Dean Smith, PhD.
> Post-doctoral Research Associate
> University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
> Center for Molecular Biophysics

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629