[gmx-users] [gmx-developers] MD run blows up!

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Sep 15 00:34:10 CEST 2016

Please do not post usage problems to the development list.  I am CC'ing this
message over to gmx-users.  Please continue the discussion there.

On 9/14/16 5:58 PM, Carlos ES Bernardes wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam:
>

> I’m a new GROMACS user, and I’m interested in the study of solutions of small
> molecules, like ionic liquids.
>
> At this moment I’m trying to ma
>

> ke a simulation of a molecule called bicalutamide. As a first step, I tested the
> force field (OPLS-AA) with DL-POLY, and everything run without problems.
> However, when I changed to GROMACS, the simulations start to blow up.
>
> To understand what was happening, I made the input files only for one
> bicalutamide molecule and I run a small simulation. The files I used are
> attached to this e-mail. The analysis of the simulation results revealed that
> the problem is related with two hydrogen atoms (one connected to a nitrogen
> atoms and the other belonging to a hydroxyl group), that come very close to each
> other and, when this happens, the system goes crazy! What eludes me, is the fact
> that the parametrization works really good with DL-POLY (being able to reproduce
> the crystal structures parameters and the energetics of this molecule very
> accurately), but fails with GROMACS. Furthermore, when I compare the single
> point energies computed by the two programs for the same starting configuration,
> the following differences are obtained (data in kJ/mol):
>

> Bond
>

> Angle
>

> Dih.
>

> LJ
>

> Coulomb
>

> Potential
>
> 0.02
>

> -0.04
>

> -0.05
>

> -98.24
>

> 59.97
>

> -158.28
>

> i.e., the bonds, angles and dihedrals energies computed by the two programs are
> approximately the same, but the Coulomb and LJ are significantly different.
> Initially, I thought this could be related with the 1-4 interactions, but I did
> not find anything suspicious error in the input files (maybe because I’m new
> with GROMACS). However, if this was the problem, it does not explain the strange
> attraction between two highly positively charged hydrogen atoms (~+0.3e each),
> since they are 5 bonds apart from each other.
>
> At this point, I do not know what I can check more, and I’m not sure if the
> problem is related with my input files or if is something intrinsic of GROMACS
> and the routines LINCS or SHAKE (the behavior is similar with both algorithms).
> Can you give me a help on this?

This is because of 1-4 interactions.  Your topology defines no [pairs] so
everything is being treated like normal nonbonded interactions (note that you
only have Coul(SR) and LJ(SR) as energy terms, when you should also have 1-4
terms).

In OPLS-AA, the 1-4 interactions (pairs) have charges and LJ scaled by 0.5
(FudgeLJ and FudgeQQ).  Since you define no pairs, the topology is incorrect and
leads to overly strong 1-4 interactions.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore