[gmx-users] protein getting unfolded in SPC/E water

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Sep 15 18:34:21 CEST 2016

On 9/15/16 11:46 AM, soumadwip ghosh wrote:
> Hello,
>          I am simulating Lysozyme in pure SPC/E water for 200 ns. I am
> using OPLS-AA force field for my work. In pure water the protein looses
> some of its helices. As for example in the final md.gro file the number of
> alpha helices observed are 2 while in the beginning 4 were observed in VMD.

assessment.  Most visualization programs are pretty notorious for simply
rendering secondary structure wrong.  What does a real analysis, like DSSP or a
dihedral time series, tell you?

> The corresponding C-alpha RMSD and radius of gyration are also fluctuating.
> Could anyone help me understand what's going on?

RMSD and Rg will always fluctuate.  A large, systematic drift would be a
problem.  Fluctuation is not.

-Justin

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy