[gmx-users] Unknown bond_atomtype CAY

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 20 17:58:52 CEST 2016

On 9/20/16 8:27 AM, Sameer Edirisinghe wrote:
> Dear Dr. Justin,
>
> Thanks for the all valuable points here. Please see the below sample bonds
> i defined in .rtp file. how to define bond type for them ? i know oplsaa
> atom type of each of them. what i dont understand in how to add them to
> ffbonded.itp file. these bonds are general bonds such as C-C , C-H C-O
> bonds. 1) I dont understand how to define them in ffbonded.itp file.

Look at ffnonbonded.itp.  The first column is the opls_* type.  The second
column is the corresponding bonded type.  The bonded types are what you use.

> 2) what is the nomenclature/type which used in  ffbonded.itp file  to
> define atoms (i.e. OW    HW , OW    LP, C_2   C3 , C     CA ) ?

These are the types listed in the second column of ffnonbonded.itp.

> 3) Do i need to define bonds in and atom in .rtp file and .pdb file using
> above nomenclature/type ?

The .rtp names must match the PDB atom names.  The [atoms] section of an .rtp
entry defines a given atom's name, type, charge, and charge group.  All
remaining bonded interactions in an .rtp entry are defined using name only.

-Justin

> Regards
>

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

>> On 9/18/16 10:14 PM, Sameer Edirisinghe wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Dr. Justin,
>>>
>>> If the bond types have not added, following errors occuring with grompp,
>>>
>>> 1) ERROR 1 [file topol.top, line 108]:
>>>   No default Bond types
>>>
>>> 2) ERROR 2 [file topol.top, line 168]:
>>>   No default Angle types
>>>
>>> 3) ERROR 3 [file topol.top, line 426]:
>>>   No default Ryckaert-Bell. types
>>>
>>> Atom types are seems to be correct as i derived them from atomtype.atp
>>> file.
>>>
>>> If the interaction don't cover by the force field, how can I define them
>>> in
>>> ffbonded.itp file ?
>>>

>> See the manual.  Use atom types, not names.  If you're adding parameters,
>> be sure they've been derived properly.  If you're still using anything from
>> that PRODRG topology and trying to force it into OPLS-AA, don't.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.

>> School of Pharmacy
>> Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
>> University of Maryland, Baltimore
>> 20 Penn St.
>> Baltimore, MD 21201

>> * Please search the archive at http://www.gromacs.org/Support
>> /Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List before posting!

>> * For (un)subscribe requests visit

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences