[gmx-users] Center-of-Mass motion removal setting for Membrane system with multiple peptides.

Erik Marklund erik.marklund at kemi.uu.se
Tue Sep 27 11:06:52 CEST 2016

Hi Abhi,

No, restricting the COM motion of the entire system is perfectly fine in most cases. From the conservation of momentum, the COM should not change its velocity at all. One reason the COM motion needs to be kept at bay explicitly is because the accumulation of numerical error during the simulation. If you separately remove the COM motion of separate groups you will however affect the diffusion of one group relative to the other, for example. Is diffusion out of the simulation box really a concern in your case?

Erik