[gmx-users] Negative pressure in an interface NVT simulation

André Farias de Moura moura at ufscar.br
Wed Sep 28 03:34:33 CEST 2016

Hi Surya,

I don't think you have a gas phase of any kind, your model of water should
not produce any appreciable amount of vapor above the liquid slab (as a
matter of fact, I think that if you see water molecules in the gas phase
using SPC/E and other similar models at 298 K you most likely did something
wrong). Mind that force fields are parametrized to reproduce very specific
properties, and vapor pressure is not usually one of them (you cannot
expect force fields to reproduce properties unrelated to whatever
properties were used to set their parameters).

So, as a matter of fact, your system should be regarded as a vacuum-liquid
interface, not a liquid-gas interface.

Just a personal opinion: I would not worry about pressure components other
than the surface pressure. As long as both sides of the slab have equal
pressures, the system should be regarded as being in mechanical equilibrium.

But if you're actually interested in liquid-vapor coexistence curves, there
are better suited approaches (for instance, take a look at:
https://www.nist.gov/mml/csd/chemical-informatics-research-group/sat-tmmc-liquid-vapor-coexistence-properties-spce-water
)

best

Andre