[gmx-users] Center-of-Mass motion removal setting for Membrane system with multiple peptides.

Erik Marklund erik.marklund at kemi.uu.se
Wed Sep 28 16:17:46 CEST 2016

Periodic systems should be translation invariant, and diffusion across periodic boundaries normally is not a concern. There are occasional exceptions to this, mostly (only?) because of technical implementation details. Unless your system warrants special treatment (and from what you’ve told us so far I don’t think that’s the case) I’d say that separate coupling of COM removal would only add artefacts. Take the extreme example of separate COM-motion removal of a single Na+ and a single CL-. They would be locked in place throughout the simulation. The same effect would come into play also for a group of Na+ and a group of Cl- with separate COM-motion removal, albeit in a more subtle way. What you suggest is similar.

Kind regards,
Erik