[gmx-users] How to extend simulation?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 3 20:12:29 CEST 2017

On 4/3/17 2:07 PM, ZHANG Cheng wrote:
> (Following Justin's suggestion)
>

> Dear Gromacs Researchers,
> My old.mdp only sets 10 ns of simulation. Now it has finished, and I want to extend it to 100 ns.
>

> As shown on
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations
>

> Should I use the following two lines of code for the files in the same folder?
> If the "deffnm" is set correctly?
> But in this case, will the new simulation still only have 10 ns?

No.

> convert-tpr -s previous.tpr -extend timetoextendby -o next.tpr

If you replace "timetoextendby" with some sensible value of time (ps), then this
means "next.tpr" will specify some longer amount of time to run.

> gmx mdrun -deffnm next -cpi previous.cpt

...which is then passed to mdrun here.  This says "run the longer simulation
specified in next.tpr, but start from the point specified in previous.cpt rather
than starting over from time zero."

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629