[gmx-users] Force Fields Keeping sp3 Nitrogen Groups Planar?

Phillip Rauscher pmrauscher at uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 4 18:05:15 CEST 2017

It occurs to me that an example would be helpful.  Here is an excerpt from
the OPLS aminoacids.rtp file detailing alanine:

*[ ALA ] [ atoms ]      N    opls_238   -0.500     1     H    opls_241
0.300     1     CA    opls_224B   0.140     1     HA    opls_140
0.060     1     CB    opls_135   -0.180     2    HB1    opls_140
0.060     2    HB2    opls_140    0.060     2    HB3    opls_140
0.060     2      C    opls_235    0.500     3     O    opls_236
-0.500     3 [ bonds ]     N     H     N    CA    CA    HA    CA    CB
CA     C    CB   HB1    CB   HB2    CB   HB3     C     O    -C     N [
impropers ]    -C    CA     N     H    improper_Z_N_X_Y     CA    +N
C     O    improper_O_C_X_Y *

We can see that the Nitrogen is bound to atoms H, CA, and -C (on the
previous residue).  In the [impropers] section, an improper dihedral is
defined for these four atoms (with the nitrogen in both of the dihedral
planes).  If we look at the definition of that improper in the OPLS
ffbonded.itp file, we see the following:

*[ dihedraltypes ]; Improper OPLS dihedrals to keep groups planar.; (OPLS
doesnt use impropers for chiral atoms).; Since these functions are periodic
of the form 1-cos(2*x), they are actually; implemented as proper dihedrals
[1+cos(2*x+180)] for the moment, ; to keep things compatible.; The defines
are used in ffoplsaa.rtp or directly in your .top file....; Z -N?-X -Y
improper torsion#define improper_Z_N_X_Y        180.0      4.18400   2*
Given the functional form and the parameters used, this potential has
minima at 0 and 180 degrees, thus keeping all four atoms (centered at the
nitrogen) in the same plane.