[gmx-users] gmx convert-tpr problem

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 6 01:23:02 CEST 2017

On 4/5/17 6:43 PM, Gregory Man Kai Poon wrote:
> Hello all:
>

> I am having problems extending my runs using convert-tpr in GROMACS 2016.1.  In the latest instance, for example, I have a 100-ns run that I want to extend to 200 ns.  I used the convert-tpr command to get my new .tpr file:
>

> gmx convert-tpr -s md_0_100.tpr -until 2000000 -o md_100_200.tpr
>

> With the new .tpr file in hand, I start mdrun:
>

> gmx mdrun -s md_100_200.tpr -cpi md_0_100.cpt -v -deffnm md_0_200
>

> At this point I get this error:
>

> GROMACS:      gmx mdrun, version 2016.1
> Executable:   /usr/local/gromacs/bin/gmx
> Data prefix:  /usr/local/gromacs
> Working dir:  /media/i5/EXTREME 64/AGC_GTG2
> Command line:
>   gmx mdrun -s md_100_200.tpr -cpi md_0_100.cpt -v -deffnm md_100_200
>
> Output file appending has been requested,
> but some output files listed in the checkpoint file md_0_100.cpt
> are not present or not named as the output files by the current program:
> Expect output files present:
>
> Expected output files not present or named differently:
>   md_0_100.log
>   md_0_100.xtc
>   md_0_100.trr
>   md_0_100.edr

> Program:     gmx mdrun, version 2016.1
> Source file: src/gromacs/mdrunutility/handlerestart.cpp (line 177)
>
> Fatal error:
> File appending requested, but 4 of the 4 output files are not present or are
> named differently. For safety reasons, GROMACS-2016 and later only allows file
> appending to be used when all files have the same names as they had in the
> original run. Checkpointing is merely intended for plain continuation of runs.
> For safety reasons you must specify all file names (e.g. with -deffnm), and
> all these files must match the names used in the run prior to checkpointing
> since we will append to them by default. If the files are not available, you
> can add the -noappend flag to mdrun and write separate new parts. For mere
> concatenation of files, you should use the gmx trjcat tool instead.

> I checked, double-checked, triple-checked that all the files the error is referring to is in the working directory.  In fact, all the files (the md_0_100.* files from the previous run) as well as md_100_200.tpr are in the same folder (the working directory), in which the mdrun command is invoked.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The error message could probably use a bit of re-wording, but what mdrun is
telling you is that the .cpt file tells mdrun that there should be md_0_100.*
that are being written, but your use of -deffnm md_100_200 means the output
files will be named md_100_200.* and mdrun is trying to append to the existing
files with different file names.  Use -noappend if you're changing the output
file names.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629