[gmx-users] User Defined Potentials

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 25 14:47:27 CEST 2017

On 4/24/17 5:58 PM, Ommair Ishaque wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Phd physics phd student at University of Delaware. I am using GROMACS
> for calculation of solvation energy of argon or methane in water. But Our
> water model has additional interaction terms other than already define in
> GROMACS. *Can we add our own interaction terms in GROMACS? If yes how?*

GROMACS allows the use of tabulated potentials so you can apply whatever
functional form you like without having to mess with the source code.

> And one of my senior colleagues was telling me in past, GROMACS had no
> quaternion algorithm for rigid molecules. It handles rigid molecules using
> SHAKE/RATTLE/LINCS. If this is still the case, I am not entirely sure how
> we will be able to use it for our water model (CC-5spol) which has at least
> 25 sites. *If there is now a means of truly propagating the motion of rigid
> molecules without SHAKE/RATTLE/LINCS, this will be great.*

SHAKE, SETTLE, and LINCS are your only options in GROMACS for rigid molecules.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore