[gmx-users] segmentation fault for unknown reason

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Aug 4 01:46:59 CEST 2017

On 8/2/17 3:23 PM, gangotri dey wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to minimize a periodic MnO2 surface using UFF force fields. I
> have previously computed many structures using MnO2 clusters. I did not
> face much problem.
>
> However, when I am trying to compute the minimization using the following
> minim.mdp there is segmentation error as follows.
>
> ; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr
> integrator      = steep         ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent
> minimization)
> emtol           = 1000.0        ; Stop minimization when the maximum force
> < 1000.0 kJ/mol/nm
> emstep      = 0.01      ; Energy step size
> nsteps          = 50000         ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to
> perform
>
> ; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
> calculate the interactions
> nstlist             = 50                    ; Frequency to update the
> neighbor list and long range forces
> cutoff-scheme   = Verlet
> ns_type             = grid              ; Method to determine neighbor list
> (simple, grid)
> coulombtype         = PME               ; Treatment of long range
> electrostatic interactions
> rcoulomb            = 1.0               ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw                = 1.0               ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
> pbc                     = xyz           ; Periodic Boundary Conditions
> (yes/no)
>

> Error:
>
> Steepest Descents:
>     Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+03
>     Number of steps    =        50000
> Step=    0, Dmax= 1.0e-02 nm, Epot=  3.46301e+34 Fmax= 2.91045e+06, atom=
> 289
> [fen2.hpcc.rutgers.edu:mpi_rank_0][error_sighandler] Caught error:
> Segmentation fault (signal 11)
> ./script: line 5: 54036 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) gmx_mpi mdrun
> -ntomp 1 -v -deffnm em
>
> I do not understand this problem. Is there anything wrong with my structure
> or the minim.mdp?

It's either the coordinates or the force field parameters.  You have a
configuration with an energy on the order of 10^34 kJ/mol, which is essentially
infinite, so something is fundamentally flawed.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 629
University of Maryland, Baltimore