[gmx-users] transmembrane protein simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 10 03:39:32 CEST 2017

On 8/9/17 1:31 PM, abhisek Mondal wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I have a predicted secondary structure of a transmembrane protein
> containing a really long alpha helix. If I place the secondary structure of
> the protein inside membrane (as done for KALP in tutorial) and following
> all the steps perform a production MD, is it possible to obtain a
> thermodynamically favorable tertiary structure of the same protein ? I mean
> generating the folds based on the membrane environment provided.

I'd be very skeptical.  Simulations can reasonably fold small motifs, but it
requires a significant time scale and/or enhanced sampling approaches that may
or may not be compatible with membranes.  Folding something large in such a
medium (slowly diffusing lipids) will require extensive simulations as well as a
very accurate force field.  I'm not sure if anyone has been able to make such an
assessment in the literature yet.  What you're proposing is a very tall task,
and potentially huge time investment for little or no useful data.

Assistant Professor

303 Engel Hall
340 West Campus Dr.
Blacksburg, VA 24061