[gmx-users] non zero free energy values in mass transformation

André Farias de Moura moura at ufscar.br
Fri Aug 11 15:37:07 CEST 2017

Deepak,

I never did a mass perturbation myself, but I would expect some free energy
change, since the translational partition function depends on the mass of
the molecules.

Also, having the same kinetic energy is not meaningful at all, the correct
quantity you should always use in statistical mechanics reasoning is the
momentum of the particle, p=mv, which clearly changes during your
alchemical transformation. Put in another way: the phase space of the
system is a 6N dimensional space of positions and momenta, and you have
just perturbed the momenta part.

And by the way: that is a typical case in which Monte Carlo methods would
fail to reproduce an MD result, since only the configurational phase space
is sampled in MC (masses effects would have to be added afterwards,
assuming that some analytical result could be computed)

I hope it helps

Andre