[gmx-users] non zero free energy values in mass transformation

Dan Gil dan.gil9973 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 17:35:51 CEST 2017

Hi Deepak,

I'd like to share a reference with you. http://www.tandfonline.
com/doi/abs/10.1080/00268970600893060

If you could take a look at results (14) versus (15), and results (28)
versus (29)... You see that when only the potential energy is considered,
the mass doesn't contribute to the free energy. However this is based on
the assumption that the mass between the two states are equal. The mass
between Li+ and Cl- are rather different.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe TPI compares between two
states, a solute in the ideal gas phase and the same solute in water (in
your case). E.g. [Li]_idealGas -> [Li]_aqueous. The mass is not changing
here.

On the other hand TI considers two states with different species. In your
case, it is [Li]_aqueous -> [Cl]_aqueous. The two states being compared is
different than TPI. In TI, the masses of the solutes are different. I think
the idea is that when you do a TI in water and do a TI in gas, the mass
contributions to the free energy cancel out. Can you also try doing
[Li]_idealGas -> [Cl]_idealGas? Hopefully, the free energy change due to
the mass perturbation for the two transformations cancel out to zero.

A disclaimer though, I am also working on a very similar problem without
success (yet). I am very curious to see if this works out for you.

Dan