[gmx-users] ForceField of ethanol and the default parameters in Gromacs

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 14:34:25 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 6:14 AM ZUO Taisen <zuots at ihep.ac.cn> wrote:

>  Dear Gromacs developer:
>
>        There is a topology file of ethanol in the OPLS FF of the new
> version of Gromacs (Gromacs2016 please see bellow). However, I did not see
> any bond, angle or dihedral parameters. Does this means that Gromacs use
> the default parameter?

Yes, please do some tutorial material where the structure of the .top file
is explained (also in the reference manual from GROMACS). The early
structure sets up the parameters from databases that are part of GROMACS.

>      If we want to compare this topology with the topology from
> literature, where should I find these top parameters in Gromacs one by one?

share/gromacs/top/*.ff

>      Is these default parameter accurate enough to simulate polymer like
> Polyethelene or Polystyrene?

No idea. You should approach such questions by reading and understanding
the philosophy behind the force fields.

Mark