[gmx-users] Gromacs_GPU_Compiling_Problem

郭逸峰 guoyifengfdu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 10:20:18 CEST 2017

Dear users,
-->I have installed the gromacs on the linux-ubuntu16.04 system, but I
cannot get the GPU support to accelerate the calculations.
-->Can you tell me how to fix it.
-->When I input "gmx mdrun gpu_id=..........", it will give me this:
--Fatal error:
--GPU ID string set, but gmx was compiled without GPU support!
-->The main installation commands and mdrun results are shown below.(with
an mdrun example of He216)
user at user-desktop:/usr/local/gromacs/gromacs-5.1.4/build$ sudo cmake ..
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/gromacs/gromacs-5.1.4
-DCMAKE_C_COMPILER=/usr/bin/gcc -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/g++
-DGMX_GPU=on -DCUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR=/usr/local/cuda

[sudo] password for user:
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /usr/local/gromacs/gromacs-5.1.4/build
user at user-desktop:/usr/local/gromacs/gromacs-5.1.4/build$ sudo make -j16[
 0%] Built target view_objlib

[  1%] Built target mdrun_objlib
[  1%] Building NVCC (Device) object src/gromacs/CMakeFiles/libgrom
acs.dir/mdlib/nbnxn_cuda/libgromacs_generated_nbnxn_cuda.cu.o
[  1%] Building NVCC (Device) object src/gromacs/CMakeFiles/libgrom
acs.dir/mdlib/nbnxn_cuda/libgromacs_generated_nbnxn_cuda_data_mgmt.cu.o
nvcc warning : The 'compute_20', 'sm_20', and 'sm_21' architectures are
deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use
-Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
nvcc warning : The 'compute_20', 'sm_20', and 'sm_21' architectures are
deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use
-Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
nvcc warning : The 'compute_20', 'sm_20', and 'sm_21' architectures are
deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use
-Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
nvcc warning : The 'compute_20', 'sm_20', and 'sm_21' architectures are
deprecated, and may be removed in a future release (Use
-Wno-deprecated-gpu-targets to suppress warning).
#Igoring the problem, I can still installing and running the gromacs, bur
cannot use GPU support.
*Here is the typical running step*
user at user-desktop:~/Fubu/GYF/_day1/He216$ gmx mdrun
                   :-) GROMACS - gmx mdrun, VERSION 5.1.2 (-:

                            GROMACS is written by:
     Emile Apol      Rossen Apostolov  Herman J.C. Berendsen    Par
Bjelkmar
 Aldert van Buuren   Rudi van Drunen     Anton Feenstra   Sebastian Fritsch
  Gerrit Groenhof   Christoph Junghans   Anca Hamuraru    Vincent Hindriksen
 Dimitrios Karkoulis    Peter Kasson        Jiri Kraus      Carsten Kutzner

    Per Larsson      Justin A. Lemkul   Magnus Lundborg   Pieter Meulenhoff
   Erik Marklund      Teemu Murtola       Szilard Pall       Sander Pronk
   Roland Schulz     Alexey Shvetsov     Michael Shirts     Alfons Sijbers
   Peter Tieleman    Teemu Virolainen  Christian Wennberg    Maarten Wolf
                           and the project leaders:
        Mark Abraham, Berk Hess, Erik Lindahl, and David van der Spoel

Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
Copyright (c) 2001-2015, The GROMACS development team at
Uppsala University, Stockholm University and
the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.

GROMACS is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License
as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1
of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

GROMACS:      gmx mdrun, VERSION 5.1.2
Executable:   /usr/bin/gmx
Data prefix:  /usr
Command line:
  gmx mdrun

Back Off! I just backed up md.log to ./#md.log.24#

Running on 1 node with total 8 cores, 16 logical cores
Hardware detected:
  CPU info:
    Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Brand:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6900K CPU @ 3.20GHz
    SIMD instructions most likely to fit this hardware: AVX2_256
    SIMD instructions selected at GROMACS compile time: SSE2

Compiled SIMD instructions: SSE2, GROMACS could use AVX2_256 on this
machine, which is better

Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 5.1.2 (single precision)
Using 1 MPI thread
Using 16 OpenMP threads

Back Off! I just backed up traj.trr to ./#traj.trr.15#

Back Off! I just backed up traj_comp.xtc to ./#traj_comp.xtc.15#

Back Off! I just backed up ener.edr to ./#ener.edr.15#
starting mdrun 'He Box'
100000 steps,    100.0 ps.

Writing final coordinates.

Back Off! I just backed up confout.gro to ./#confout.gro.15#

NOTE: 40 % of the run time was spent in pair search,
      you might want to increase nstlist (this has no effect on accuracy)

               Core t (s)   Wall t (s)        (%)
       Time:       90.289        5.788     1559.9
                 (ns/day)    (hour/ns)
Performance:     1492.740        0.016

gcq#184: "I Am a Poor Lonesome Cowboy" (Lucky Luke)
*Here is the trying to run on GPU!!!!!!!!!!!!*
user at user-desktop:~/Fubu/GYF/_day1/He216$ gmx mdrun -gpu_id
GPU-7a845104-091e-0e5c-d092-425457b38b3a
[...]

Back Off! I just backed up md.log to ./#md.log.25#

Running on 1 node with total 8 cores, 16 logical cores
Hardware detected:
  CPU info:
    Vendor: GenuineIntel
    Brand:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6900K CPU @ 3.20GHz
    SIMD instructions most likely to fit this hardware: AVX2_256
    SIMD instructions selected at GROMACS compile time: SSE2

Compiled SIMD instructions: SSE2, GROMACS could use AVX2_256 on this
machine, which is better

Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 5.1.2 (single precision)

Program gmx mdrun, VERSION 5.1.2
Source code file: /build/gromacs-z6bPBg/gromacs-
5.1.2/src/gromacs/gmxlib/gmx_detect_hardware.cpp, line: 1161

Fatal error:
GPU ID string set, but gmx was compiled without GPU
is the problem!*