[gmx-users] how to arbitrarily increase the XY size of an existing bilayer system (adding more lipids)

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 17:30:49 CET 2017

I've never done it, but for what it's worth of your two options b) would
be the way I would go. Equilibration of the system in a) could take
quite a long amount of time which you can save some of by doing this at
the CG level. Once you convert back to atomistic, you will probably also
need to run some further equilibration with restrains but I imagine for
far less time than in option a).

The only other thing that springs to mind which you could do would be to
take your complete membrane/protein system and insert that whole thing
into a larger membrane. So, in effect, treat your current membrane and
protein as you would do with just a protein that you wanted to insert
into an existing membrane. Given these tools are generally designed to
disturb the membrane system as little as possible, if you can get this
to work, you should end up with a system that isn't too disturbed at the
boundary of old and new lipids.

Cheers

Tom

--