[gmx-users] Why the individual interaction potentials are additive?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 14:59:32 CET 2017

Hi,

Simply that it makes a useful physical model. If one has a gravitational
system with one body, then there's a single term in the potential; with
two, there's two terms added, etc. Electrostatics work the same way, of
course. Bonded interactions are a practical hack that recognize that
multi-body and non-nuclear effects are strong at very short range. So one
excludes the "normal" non-bonded interactions, and replaces their
contribution with whatever functional form + parameters seem to work well.
The additivity is simply intrinsic to the model. You can't multiply the
non-bonded interaction potential by the bonded one and get something
sensible :-)

Mark