[gmx-users] Problem with obtaining rational Area per lipid

Christopher Neale chris.neale at alum.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 9 05:07:08 CET 2017

5 ns is not long enough to equilibrate the APL, and it's a time-averaged property in experiment, so looking at one frame is not as good as averaging over tens of ns of simulation. Try running for 100 ns and taking the average of the last 50 ns. Also, what APL do you get and what value do you consider correct? Also look at the time-series of the APL to see if it is drifting in the right direction. I presume that you're computing APL as box_x * box_y / N lipids per leaflet (the per leaflet part obviously being important).

I think Tieleman was using a 0.9 nm LJ cutoff the last time he was working with the Berger lipids. Your 1.4 nm LJ cutoff is sure to decrease the APL in comparison to that.

Finally, not all parameters give APL values that agree with experiment, so check the literature on your parameters (and cutoff) to see if at least you are getting something similar to what other people get.

Other than the LJ cutoff, which is not necessarily wrong but at least could lead to differences, your mdp file looked fine to me.