[gmx-users] Question Regarding GMX Grompp Unknown Atom Type

Piggot T. T.Piggot at soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 20:48:42 CET 2017

Hi,

Where did you obtain the POPG lipid topology from? From what I can remember, this looks like the Elmore Berger based parameters. You need to have the appropriate corresponding entries for all the itp atomtypes in your force field files. That said, (if I've got the correct force field you are using) this force field doesn't perform very well for PG (see http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp900645z). If you want to use a GROMOS based force field, the only parameters I'm aware of that work at least reasonably well are some of my GROMOS-CKP ones (see http://pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/10.1021/jp207013v for a bit more info; the parameters should be available on the Lipidbook website). If you have more flexibility in terms of force field, CHARMM36 and Slipids should work well (amongst others).

It's probably also worth pointing out that the GROMOS 53A6 protein force field isn't that great in certain circumstances (e.g. unstable for short helices). You'd be better off with a different GROMOS protein force field too (e.g. 54A7). Or, indeed, a recent CHARMM/AMBER force field with an aforementioned lipid model.

Cheers

Tom