[gmx-users] PROTEIN-LIGAND SIMULATION

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Feb 18 23:05:42 CET 2017

On 2/17/17 8:43 AM, Subashini .K wrote:
> Hi gromacs users,
>

> In order to calculate binding energy of single protein inhibitor complex through simulations, how long should we run the calculations?
>

> Is 2ns sufficient?

The answer to this question is always: "have the observables of interest converged?"

> How to obtain results and plot time (in ps) along x-axis and binding energy (kJ/mol)along y-axis?

If you're looking for a binding free energy, you can try an MM/PBSA
post-processing calculation, but the standard for doing this is a series of free
energy calculations (either alchemical perturbation or a PMF).  A single, 2-ns
MD run of a protein-ligand complex is unlikely to yield any sort of reliable
result.  I doubt the system is even fully relaxed over such a short time period.

-Justin

> Had completed two equilibration phases (NVT and NPT)and then used the command for production MD (for 2ns).
>

> Can someone help?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Subashini.K

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences