[gmx-users] E. coli's Inner Membrane Lipid Selection

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Sat Feb 18 23:34:44 CET 2017

Hi,

For 1), perhaps but it depends upon what you are doing and what you are
wanting to look at. Force field choice is (IMHO) likely to be more
important (and CHARMM36 should be a good choice as long as you get all
your mdp settings, etc., correct).

For 2), the composition looks fairly reasonable bar a couple of points.
I'm not aware of PS normally being a lipid found in E. coli, so I
wouldn't have this. I'm not completely positive what the Y tail is in
your/the CHARMM-GUI acronym (I think it is probably palmitoleoyl) but I
believe cardiolipin should have a similar tail composition to PG, as in
E. coli cardiolipin is synthesised directly from a combination of two
PG's (unlike in mitochondria, where it is made de novo IIRC). So
something more like PYPY for the four cardiolipin tails would likely
give a better representation of the real system. To be honest, how
complex you go with the membrane will likely depend upon what you want
to do. A simple 75% POPE, 25% POPG is a fairly accurate representation
of the membrane. I know there isn't a huge amount of oleoyl (18:1
delta9) tails in all the available E. coli experimental data, but oleoyl
is a nice mix of the two most commonly found sn-2 chains: palmitoleoyl
(16:1 delta 9) and cis-vaccenyl (18:1 delta 11). That said, if you want
as accurate as possible, you can have all sorts of different types of
lipid in there, with different tail types. At some stages in the cell
cycle there are high amounts of cyclic rings in the tails instead of
double-bonds, for example. Plus the ratio of PG:cardiolipin changes
during the cell cycle too, as cardiolipin is synthesised and broken down
(IIRC). Does, this matter? Would this impact upon your simulations (as
per your question 1)? These really are questions for you to address. In
my view, probably not a huge amount, but you can't really tell for sure
in your case without extensive testing (e.g lots of different repeat
simulations in each type of membrane, long enough to ensure convergence
and a statistical comparison of the results you get for what you
consider to be important properties that you want to compare). A lot of
work, that probably isn't worth it.

So, I guess my answer for both of these, is that it really depends upon
what you are wanting to study. For 1), it is hard to tell without
extensive testing for your example. For 2), how complex you go with your
composition is also up to you and what you are wanting to look at. At
the one extreme, a simple PC membrane could well be good enough, for
example, if the protein has been shown to experimentally behave fine in
this type of membrane. If you're not really sure, I would personally
probably go with the simple 3:1 POPE:POPG mixture as a simple yet
reasonable representation of the membrane. One step further up in terms
of complexity would be to include cardiolipin and have some more
realistic tails (1-palmitoyl 2-palmitoleoly and 1-palmitoyl
2-cis-vaccenyl plus perhaps some cyclic ringed tails in there too
depending if there is a certain point in the cell-cycle you are wanting
to study).

Cheers

Tom

--