[gmx-users] mixed, double precision

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:32:12 CET 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM Peter Stern <peter.stern at weizmann.ac.il>
wrote:

> I think so.  There is not much meaning to the input/output precision since
> no coordinates are more than single precision.

Technically, they'll be written in double precision by a double-precision
build. Whether there's meaningful information in those significant digits
is another matter.

  The purpose of double precision is to prevent computational errors
> arising from accumulated roundoff errors, for example, in normal mode
> analysis where computations involving large matrices are required.

Indeed.

>   But by the same token, such a series of runs may not be reproducible.

Note that by design, very few trajectories from mdrun are reproducible. The
sampling as you approach the ergodic limit should be reproducible, but the
additional computational cost imposed by running mdrun in its reproducible
mode is not worth it, particularly given other modelling limitations like
under sampling, fixed point-charges, or cut-off artificialities.

> Regards,
> Peter

Yes, the precision of the build determines how mdrun operates.

> When the mdrun gets the input which is in mixed precision it will still
> make the run in double precision even if the input is in mixed.
>
> Have I lost some of the precision between the runs, with risks of energy
> drifts?

That's equivalent to a tiny "mistake" in one of the MD coordinate update
stages. That is going to be a much smaller perturbation than if (say) the
v-rescale thermostat chose a different set of random numbers. So I expect
no evidence of increased drift. By all means, re-run one of the studies
using both full double precision, and your inadvertent mixed protocol, to
see what you see. (But be aware that might expose that there is
undersampling...)

Also consider the thoughts at
http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2016/10/24/083055

Mark