[gmx-users] UV radiation (David van der Spoel)

Groenhof, Gerrit ggroenh at gwdg.de
Thu Feb 23 08:58:49 CET 2017

Hi,

On 22/02/17 13:15, Sameer Edirisinghe wrote:
> Dear Users,
>
> I need to simulate my polymer system under UV radiation ( or photons) as i
> want to study the UV behavior of the polymer system. Can anyone please
> suggest me a method to do that with gromacs.
>

> Regards
> Bhagya Karunarathna
>
> That is basically an electric field that can be modelled in gromacs,
> check this paper: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.200703987

UV frequency is a bit higher than any vibrational frequency and couples to electrons.

What method to use will depend on what you want to investigate. If you're interested in the consequences of UV absorption on a small part of the polymer, you can use QM/MM, with a QM method suited for excited state, such as CASSCF, CIS, or TDDFT in combination with surface hopping. This has been done with gromacs, see for example: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/cp/c2cp23628a#!divAbstract

Alternatively, if you understand the process, you can perhaps create an effective forcefield for the excited state, but this will be a very complicated task.

> However the damaging effects of UV radiation are probably not easy to
> model with classical simulations and you may be better off with some
> kind of DFT.

Gerrit

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.

Message: 6