[gmx-users] Potential Energy is positive on minimizing the system

Anurag Dobhal anurag.dobhal at nano-medicine.co.in
Thu Feb 23 14:23:12 CET 2017

Dear gromacs users,

I am Simulating a polymer chain having 20 monomer units. I am doing the
simulation in the vaccum (I am not solvating the system). The total charge
in my polymer chain is +9 and I am not nutrealizing the system as I was
suggested earlier that if we are  simulating a system in a vaccum we can
continue without neutralizing the system (https://www.mail-archive.com/
gromacs.org_gmx-users at maillist.sys.kth.se/msg23520.html).

Now when I am minimizing my system I am not getting negative potential
energy (Potential Energy  =  4.5656064e+03). I am using gromacs Version
4.6.5 and the parameters of the minim.mdp are below

; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr
; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save
integrator = steep ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent minimization)
emtol = 1000.0   ; Stop minimization when the maximum force < 1000.0
kJ/mol/nm
emstep          = 0.01          ; Energy step size
nsteps = 50000    ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to perform

; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
calculate the interactions
nstlist = 1 ; Frequency to update the neighbor list and long range forces
ns_type = grid ; Method to determine neighbor list (simple, grid)
rlist = 1.0 ; Cut-off for making neighbor list (short range forces)
coulombtype = PME ; Treatment of long range electrostatic interactions
rcoulomb = 1.0 ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
rvdw = 1.0 ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
pbc = xyz  ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

*Anurag Dobhal*
*Graduate Student (Bioprocess Technology)*
*Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai*

--

*DISCLAIMER:*

*This communication is intended only for the person or entity to which it
is addressed and may contain confidential and / or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination or other use is prohibited. If you
have received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this
material from your computer. Any comments or statements made herein do not
necessarily reflect those of Nanomedicine Research Group.  Before opening
the email or accessing any attachments, please check and scan for virus.*