[gmx-users] How the default parameters for PME (particle mesh Ewald) are chosen?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 19:00:48 CET 2017

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 6:31 PM Dawid das <addiw7 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I went through this manual before posting these questions,

Great, but it would have been more efficient to mention what you did find,
rather than that you didn't find anything :-)

> and I'm sorry if
> I'm to blind to see that but
> I don't understand how they would answer my questions. Could you give me a
> clearer explanation, please?

beta is defined in the reference manual section for Ewald, e.g. 4.8 in the
2016 version. From the equations there, and the fact that ewald_rtol is a
relative strength, it follows that

ewald_rtol = erfc(beta * rcoulomb)

Merely varying beta without considering how the value of rcoulomb interacts
with it to affect the relative strength of the two components would be an
oversimplification. See also
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcc.21773/full (shameless self
plug). With ewald_rtol constant, you can scale rcoulomb and fourierspacing
by the same factor and get an approximately equivalently accurate PME model
(which mdrun -tunepme does).

If you don't understand the documentation for fourierspacing, please
suggest what aspect is the problem.

Mark