[gmx-users] Exploding temp/pressure.

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 16:09:55 CET 2017

Hi,

P-R coupling is only stable if the system is already near equilibrium, so I
would always vary other stuff (like step size) while using NVT or Berendsen
P coupling (or both in successive stages).

Although your observations are consistent with an initial structure that
has reached a reasonable local minimum, a possibility is that the
configuration is still frustrated somehow and that it is easier for a
larger time step to get over a saddle point towards a deeper minimum. But
then that time step could be too large for the resulting forces (which
would certainly be made even worse by P-R). Expending effort into
constructing a more reasonable original starting structure might pay off.
Simulated annealing at the small step size would be another possibility to
consider.

Mark